Animal Control

Please note:  a maximum of 3 dogs and/or cats may be licensed and harbored at one location.  Any dogs or cats in excess of 3 would constitute a kennel and kennels are only permitted in C-2, C-3, or I-4 zoning districts, with special permit approval.

What are the rules pertaining to dogs?

The Town of Salina has a dog control officer on duty daily, operating out of the Town Clerk's Office and can be emailed at For emergency situations, EMAIL MUST INCLUDE YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.

In accordance with the New York State Law, all dog bites must be reported to the police department and Animal Disease Control. The Dog Control Officer is responsible for implementing the Town Ordinance as it pertains to dogs. For new residents, and as a reminder to established residents, who are dog owners, the following shall be unlawful in the Town of Salina:

  1. To allow a dog to be at-large off the owner's premises except when such dog is restrained by a leash not exceeding six (6) feet in length.
  2. To allow any dog in heat to be at-large off the owner's premises, whether or not such dog is at-large or restrained by a leash.
  3. To allow a dog to engage in habitual loud barking, crying or whining, or to conduct itself in such manner as to unreasonably and habitually annoy any person.
  4. To allow a dog to cause damage or destruction to property or commit a nuisance by defecating or urinating upon the premises of a person other than the owner of such dog.
  5. To allow a dog to habitually chase, run alongside of or bark at motor vehicles or bicycles.

What if a dog is lost or stray?

The Dog Control Officer is also responsible for picking up lost and stray dogs. If your dog is lost or you find a lost dog, immediately contact the Town Clerk's Office at (315) 439-0460. Dog owners should seek lost dogs at the SPCA by calling (315) 454-4479. Any dog lost after the hours of 4:30 pm during the week or on the weekends must call 911.

Any dog seized by the Dog Control Officer will be subject to the following impoundment fees:

First pickup within a year: $20.00
Second pick up within a year: $30.00
Third pick up within a year: $40.00
The Animal Surrender Fee of $150.00, pursuant to a contract with the SPCA. All seizure fees must be paid in cash.

When must dogs be licensed?

All dogs must be licensed at four (4) months old. You may either apply for a dog license in person or by mail. Before a license can be issued the owner must present or mail to the Town Clerk's Office the following:

  1. Proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine.
  2. If the dog is spayed or neutered a certificate from a licensed veterinarian.
  3. License fee per dog: $10.00 for spayed or neutered; $18.00 un-spayed or un-neutered
  4. All dog owners that are sixty-five (65) years of age or older and veterans are eligible for a discount from the cost of their license.

After the application and appropriate certificates are submitted and the license fee has been paid, the license will be validated for one year. Each dog is assigned a permanent official identification ID number and issued a metal ID tag, which is to be attached to the dog's collar. All proof submitted will be returned to the dog owner. All license renewal forms will be mailed directly to the dog owner by the Town of Salina. If your dog is already licensed you have 30 days upon receipt of the renewal form to validate the dog license. If a renewal form is not received it is still the owner's responsibility to know when the dog license expires. Late fees will be added after the 30 day renewal period.

When are the rabies vaccination clinics?

Onondaga County Health Department, Division of Animal Disease Prevention sponsors rabies vaccination clinics throughout the year for a voluntary donation of $10.00 per family. For more information regarding the clinic schedule, please call the Town Clerk's Office or Onondaga County Health Department at 435-3165. In addition, the following stores frequently sponsor rabies clinics: Petco, Pet Supplies Plus and Tractor Supply

Wildlife Information Pertaining to Coyotes and Foxes

Residents of Salina frequently have questions and concerns about the wildlife they see within the town, particularly coyotes and foxes. While the town deals only with dogs, we can pass along some tips for living peacefully with the coyotes and foxes which are present here. Wild animals should not be approached. If an animal is obviously sick, acting aggressively towards humans or otherwise worrisome, the matter should be reported to 911. Healthy foxes normally hunt around dawn and dusk. This pattern changes in the spring and early summer when pups are in the den. During this time the parents are more likely to be seen during the daytime, display territorial behavior and be aggressive towards domestic dogs that they view as a threat to their young.

Coyotes behave similarly, but are particularly adaptive to their situation. They will hunt more in the daytime if that is when the food is available.

Dog and cat owners need to be aware of these habits. While larger dogs will not be in danger, ones that are approximately the size of the coyote or fox may be challenged, even in their own yard. Small dogs and cats are at risk of being taken for food.

To lessen the chance of encountering a coyote or fox on your property, make sure that you don�t provide a food source for them.

  • Do not leave pet food outdoors.
  • Do not store garbage outdoors.
  • Clean up around bird feeders so that the rodents and other animals that coyotes and foxes feed on are not attracted.
  • Make sure that your compost pile is protected and does not contain meat or other foods that will draw animals.
  • Do not put small dogs outside on tie-outs and keep cats indoors, if possible.

If you encounter a fox or coyote, wave your arms and make a lot of noise: the animal will likely leave. Running away often results in the animal coming closer since it imitates the behavior of prey.

If you would like more information about coyotes, you can visit the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation at To report a coyote in your area call: 877-457-5680.