Town of Salina Activities
Town of Salina Playgrounds
In addition to the swim programs, the Town of Salina offers several supervised playground activities, Karate camps, Tennis programs and Arts & Crafts sites. These activities occupy the minds and talents of thousands of young visitors as well as many programs for adults during the long winters of Central New York.
During the summer months, each park/playground that has a pool will have a playground staff member on hand to oversee the general park usage. They will be on hand to answer questions, sign out playground equipment such as basketballs, etc., at times participate in low organizational games and work with a variety of media on Arts & Crafts projects. Special programming may include: Zoo to You, the Magician and perhaps even a visit from Rosie the Clown. Special Note: Children are free to come and go at any Salina playground. It is between the parent/guardian and their children to arrange when they can leave the site. Salina does not sponsor day camp or day care.
Adult Recreation Programs
The Parks Department offers evening activities at the Salina Town Hall at 201 School Road in Liverpool starting at 6:30 p.m. Co-ed volleyball can be played in the gymnasium on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings from September through the following April.
Participants must be 18 years of age and are required to sign in each time they attend. A photo I.D. is required for identification and a fee of $2 for Salina residents or $3 for non-residents will be charged.
During school breaks, the Town of Salina Parks & Recreation Department sponsors special programs such as:
Movies, Bowling, Karate, Kickboxing, Snow-tubing, Tennis
Senior Citizen Programs
A comprehensive senior citizen program, which includes activities such as bus trips, picnics, luncheons, boat trips, movies, plays and concerts keep nearly one thousand seniors active at the following locations:
- Liverpool Methodist Seniors meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month from 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m. at the Liverpool Methodist Church on Oswego Street in the Village of Liverpool.
- Lyncourt Seniors meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Lyncourt School cafeteria on Court Street.
- Mattydale-Hinsdale Seniors meetings are held every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Salina Civic Center on Lemoyne Avenue in Mattydale.
- Salina Civic Seniors meetings are held every Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Salina Civic Center on Lemoyne Avenue in Mattydale.
- Salina Town Hall Seniors meetings are held every Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Salina Town Hall on School Road in Liverpool.
Any Town of Salina resident at least 60 years of age is welcome to join one of the groups listed above and enjoy the fellowship, good times, and happiness that is found in all of the groups.
The Town of Salina has a neighborhood advisor, through Catholic Charities, who is trained to help older adults get the services they need to remain independent in their home setting and be informed of programs available to them in the community. Our neighborhood advisor can be reached at 454-0168. For further information, seniors can call the Onondaga County Department of Aging and Youth at 435-2361.
Catholic Charities Nutritional Program
On Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year, the Town of Salina offers lunches sponsored by the Catholic Charities Senior Nutrition Program. The suggested contribution is $2.50 and reservations are required at least 2 days in advance. To make a reservation, you can do so by calling the Parks & Recreation office at 451-8110. Menus are also available.